National and regional clients involved in a wide range of construction projects turn to Stites & Harbison for top-flight credentials and practical, real-world experience. Our construction attorneys include former contractors, construction-firm owners, civil and mechanical engineers, and journeymen crafts-people. We understand the day-to-day workings of your business in addition to its legal issues.
From aviation and health care facilities to manufacturing and power plants, and from commercial buildings to highways, bridges and other infrastructure, Stites & Harbison’s Construction Service Group understands the critical legal issues that affect your projects.
We have worked with clients on projects located from coast to coast. We negotiate contracts, assist clients with claim prevention and resolution, and counsel clients on transactions, complex litigation and regulation. We offer many years of experience in mediation and arbitration, both as client advocates and neutrals. Whatever your needs, we have a strong team to represent you, utilizing the broad knowledge and experience of the attorneys throughout our firm. We also understand your concerns about cost effective representation.
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers released their 2019 ratings for the "Best Law Firms" in America. Stites & Harbison was ranked National Tier 1 for Litigation - Construction. Click here to see the full results.
- Stites & Harbison lawyers are LEED accredited professionals and members of the U.S. Green Building Council. We are here to help you meet the rigorous standards of green building.
- The Construction Lawyers Society of America (CLSA) recognized Stites & Harbison with the 2017 and 2018 CLSA Law Firm Award.
We give back to the industry in many ways. Stites & Harbison has represented the American Institute of Steel Construction, National Steel Bridge Alliance, Associated Builders and Contractors of Indiana/Kentucky, and the Associated General Contractors of Kentucky. We are also members of other industry organizations, serving as officers, board members, authors, and keynote speakers. Trade associations, professional societies, and members of the organized national construction bar regularly recruit us to provide articles and educational programs to their members. Our attorneys participated in the preparation of American Institute of Steel Construction Codes, Standards and Specifications, and have consulted with the American Institute of Architects and the Engineers Joint Contract Documents Committee on formation of these organizations’ standard construction documents.
Clients, construction trade associations and other industry organizations count on Stites & Harbison for help with a wide range of industry-related areas, including:
- Antitrust issues
- Bidding and procurement
- Corporate governance and membership
- Intellectual property
- Labor, employment, wage & hour and immigration law
- OSHA and safety
- State and federal tax code interpretation and enforcement
Other industry contributions from our Construction Law group include:
- "Chapters 18 & 19: Kentucky Construction Lien and Bond Law," Cassidy R. Rosenthal, Co-Author, Fifty State Construction Lien and Bond Law Book, Third Edition, 2016 Supplement
- "Chapter 6: Discovery by Interrogatories," William Geisen and Jessica A. Hill, Discovery Deskbook for Construction Disputes, Second Edition, ABA Forum on Construction Law, Editors: John M. Cook, Buckner Hinkle, Jr. and Alexander Moseley, 2015
- Kentucky Construction Law, written and edited by the construction attorneys of Stites & Harbison, published by HLK Global Communications, 2015.
- Discovery Deskbook for Construction Law Disputes – Robert M. Connolly is a chapter author, published by ABA Publishing, 2006.
With nationally recognized experience in construction law and hands-on experience in the business, we are uniquely qualified to address the needs of our construction clients.
A partial list of representative transactional and adversarial construction engagements in which the members of the group have been involved is listed below:
- Developed and negotiated design and construction contracts for owner/developer of $1 billion investment in manufacturing facilities in South Carolina
- Participated in the development of term sheets and EPC contracts for $3 billion coal gasification facility in Western Kentucky
- Drafted and negotiated design build contract for fracking sands plant
- Belk’s, Oxford, Miss. (2010)
- Best Buy, Gulfport, Miss. (2012)
- Camden Paces Apartments, Atlanta, Ga. (2013)
- Delta Wing, Opryland, Nashville, Tenn.
- Disney-MGM Studios Water Tower, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
- Federal Express World Headquarters, Memphis, Tenn.
- GlaxoSmithKline, Memphis, Tenn.
- Holder Construction Company: Stites & Harbison's Atlanta offices
- Indiana-American Water Company, Jeffersonville, Ind.
- Lake Eola Condominiums, Orland, Fla.
- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Airport Board, (Blue Grass Airport, Lexington, Ky.)
- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Courts Facilities, Lexington, Ky.
- Lexington-Fayette Urban County Detention Facility, Lexington, Ky.
- Louisville Airport Improvement Program, Louisville, Ky.
- Louisville Slugger Museum, Louisville, Ky.
- Mercer University Center, Macon, Ga.
- National Corvette Museum, Bowling Green, Ky.
- National Steel Bridge Alliance, Miss.
- NCNB Tower, Tampa, Fla.
- One Atlantic Center (IBM building), Atlanta, Ga.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. —Stites & Harbison, PLLC welcomes attorney S. Kelly Gilliam back to the firm’s Louisville, Ky., office. He will rejoin the Construction Service Group and Employment Law Service Group as Counsel.
ATLANTA—Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys Dan Douglass and Bill Joseph were recently honored in the 2020 Georgia Super Lawyers magazine.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Stites & Harbison, PLLC announced that six attorneys have been promoted within the law firm effective January 2020.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—BTI Consulting Group recently selected Stites & Harbison, PLLC as a standout in two key areas: investing in client relationships and client-facing communication in the prestigious BTI Client Service A-Team 2020: Survey of Law Firm Client Service Performance.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The 2020 edition of Kentucky Super Lawyers recently honored 42 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys in the Covington, Frankfort, Lexington and Louisville, Ky., offices. The publication named 32 attorneys to the Super Lawyers list and 13 attorneys to the Rising Stars list.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers have released their 2020 “Best Law Firms” rankings. Stites & Harbison, PLLC’s three National Tier 1 rankings include: Litigation – Construction, Litigation – Real Estate, and Trademark Law.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Oct. 31, 2019)—Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Cassidy Rosenthal will be inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Construction Lawyers (ACCL) on February 22, 2020, at the Annual Meeting in Tucson, Ariz.
A new study found slow payments to general contractors and subcontractors cost $64 billion in 2019 – a nearly $25 billion increase from 2018 with general contractors added to the report.
On October 4, 2019, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to review the 4th Circuit’s rejection of the National Forest Service’s permit authorizing the Atlantic Coast Pipeline (ACP) to cross the Appalachian Trail within the George Washington National Forest.
Time: 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Anderson Pavilion, 8 East Mehring Way, Cincinnati, OH 45202
Construction attorney Bill Geisen is co-chair of the 2019 Buckeye Regional Conference presented by CFMA - Greater Cincinnati Chapter. Attorney Allison Cook will be a speaker.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The American Bar Association (ABA) recently named Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Aaron Klein as a 2019-20 TIPS Now! Fellow.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The Best Lawyers in America©, one of the oldest and most respected peer-review publications in the legal profession, has named six attorneys from Stites & Harbison, PLLC as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2020.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 has recognized 75 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys as selected by their peers in 49 areas of practice. Forty-three of those attorneys selected have been honored for 10 consecutive years or more.
Time: 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Scott Conference Center, 6450 Pine Street, Omaha, NE 68106
Construction attorney Steven Henderson will be a speaker at the Structural Engineers Association of Nebraska's 39th Annual Structural Conference in September.
COVINGTON, Ky.—Stites & Harbison, PLLC welcomes attorney Cassandra Welch to its Covington, Ky., office.
Co-Author, Kelly Ball, Summer Associate. The construction industry is known for innovation and creative problem solving, and the industry’s early adoption of cutting-edge virtual technologies is no exception.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—BTI Consulting Group has named Stites & Harbison, PLLC as a best-branded law firm in its BTI Brand Elite 2019: Client Perceptions of the Best-Branded Law Firms.
NASHVILLE, Tenn.—Go Build Tennessee recently appointed Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Jamie F. Little to their Board of Directors.
The Supreme Court of Kentucky recently reaffirmed its decision in Mattingly Bridge Co. v. Holloway & Son Const. Co. which established the standard for assessing the enforceability of a liquidated damages provision.