Pat Stallard is a member of the Environmental, Natural Resources and Energy Service Group in the Louisville office. His practice concentrates in the air, water and waste programs, with substantial experience in programmatic permitting at both the agency level and on appeal, enforcement actions, counseling, rulemaking, advocacy, and legislative actions. Pat has considerable experience in remediation matters under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (Superfund) and similar state statutes imposing liability for hazardous substance releases, representing clients at a number of nationally significant contaminated sites across the country. Pat’s work focuses on helping clients proactively prepare for and cost-effectively address environmental requirements in a manner that is, to the greatest degree practicable, consistent with the client’s business plan and available financial resources.
Greater Louisville, Inc., Environmental Committee, Air Toxics Task Force
Louisville/Metro Solid Waste Advisory Committee, Member, Former Chairman
Brightside Foundation, Board Member and Treasurer
Louisville Legal Aid Society, Project H.E.L.P.
KMAC Museum, Donors Circle
- "Solid Waste Report," Bluegrass Economic Advancement Movement (BEAM), Infrastructure Subcommittee, November 15, 2013
- "Environmental Considerations in Real Estate Transactions," co-author, Kentucky Real Estate Law and Practice (4th Ed., 2013), University of Kentucky College of Law, Office of Continuing Legal Education
- "Kentucky's Solid Waste Report Card," Annual Meeting of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Louisville, Ky., October 7, 2011
- "The Bona Fide Prospective Purchase Liability Limitation: Haven or Trap," Louisville Bar Association, August 2011
- "Solid Waste Brief," Kentucky Infrastructure Report Card - 2010, American Society of Civil Engineers
- "Site Remediation and Brownfield Redevelopment in Kentucky: Environmental Covenants," Louisville Bar Association, October 8, 2009
- "Environmental Considerations in Real Estate Transactions," Kentucky Real Estate Law and Practice (revised), University of Kentucky College of Law 1996
Prior to joining Stites & Harbison in 1983, Pat had an active general civil practice beginning in 1978 with an emphasis on litigation in the Frankfort, Kentucky, law firm of Prichard, Stallard & Shepherd. From 1974 to 1978, he was an Assistant Attorney General in the Office of the Attorney General of Kentucky handling environmental, anti-trust and consumer protection litigation.
Civic and community involvement includes the Speed Art Museum, Steering Committee of the New Art Collectors, 1998 - 2009; House of Ruth, Board of Directors, 2004 - 2008; and The New Center for Contemporary Art Board of Directors, 2004 - 2008.
Chambers USA, "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Environment, Natural Resources & Utilities (2008-19)
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Environmental Law (2001-20)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Area Lawyer of the Year in Environmental Law (2012, 2017, 2019)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2010, 2013-17)
Who's Who Legal, Environment (2015)
Louisville Magazine's "Top Lawyers" for Environmental Law (2013, 2014, 2016)
Excellent lawyer . . . highly regarded for his work in environmental disputes and compliance issues, including air, waste, and water matters.
. . . an exceptional lawyer who always does a good job.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The Best Lawyers in America© 2020 has recognized 75 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys as selected by their peers in 49 areas of practice. Forty-three of those attorneys selected have been honored for 10 consecutive years or more.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Chambers USA selected 16 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys in Kentucky and Tennessee for inclusion in their 2019 guide.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Chambers USA selected 22 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys in Kentucky and Tennessee for inclusion in their 2017 guide. The Chambers USA guide ranks the top law firms and leading attorneys in the United States.