The attorneys of Stites & Harbison’s Tax Group assist a variety of clients (corporations, estates, exempt organizations, individuals, limited liability companies, partnerships, trusts and universities) with tax planning and litigation on the federal, state and local levels. The attorneys include a former United States Tax Court law clerk and a former attorney for the Internal Revenue Service’s Office of Chief Counsel (Tax Court). Many of the attorneys have master-of-law degrees in taxation.
The attorneys of Stites & Harbison’s Tax Group routinely serve clients in a range of matters that include:
- Aircraft Acquisition and Leasing
- Aircraft Fractional Interests
- Alternative and Renewable Energy Tax Planning
- Business Acquisitions
- Business Contracts
- Business Formations
- Business Liquidations
- Business Mergers
- Business Planning
- Business Restructurings
- Cafeteria Plans
- Captive Insurance Companies
- Charitable Contributions
- Corporate Spin-Offs, Split-Offs and Split-Ups
- Corporate Tax
- Divorce Tax Planning
- Elder Law
- Employee Benefits
- Employee Plans Voluntary Compliance Program
- Employee v. Independent Contractor
- ERISA (fiduciary, prohibited transactions, etc.)
- Estate & Gift Planning
- Estate & Gift Tax (including tax return preparation)
- Executive Compensation
- Federal Excise Taxes
- Fiduciary Income Tax Returns (preparation and planning)
- FIRPTA (foreign investment in US real property)
- Georgia Income Tax
- Georgia Sales & Use Tax
- Georgia Tax Litigation
- Incentive Stock Options
- Income Tax Planning
- Individual Tax
- Interest Rate Swaps
- International Tax Planning (Inbound and Outbound)
- Investment Fund Formation (Structuring, LP or LLC Agreements, PPMs)
- IRS Appeals
- IRS Audits
- IRS Ruling Requests
- Kentucky Income Tax
- Kentucky Inheritance Tax
- Kentucky Retirement System
- Kentucky Sales & Use Tax
- Kentucky Tax Litigation
- LLC Operating Agreements
- Local Taxes
- Low-Income Housing Credit
- Medicaid Planning
- Multistate Tax
- New Markets Tax Credits
- Nonqualified Deferred Compensation
- Nonqualified Stock Options
- Partnership Tax
- Penalty Abatement
- Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial Agreements
- Private Foundations
- Probate (including litigation)
- Purchase & Sale of Assets
- Qualified Opportunity Zones
- Qualified Retirement Plans (401(k) and defined benefit)
- Regulated Futures Contracts
- REITs and RICs
- REMIC Defeasance Tax Opinions
- Restricted Stock Plans
- S Corporations
- Shareholders’ Buy-Sell Agreements
- State Tax Incentives (including PILOT incentives)
- Stock Purchase Agreements
- Stock Redemption Agreements
- Tax Court Litigation
- Tax Exempt Organizations (Formation, Exemption Applications, Intermediate Sanctions, and IRS Audits)
- Taxfree Exchanges (Code Section 1031)
- Tax Opinions
- Tax Return Review and Analysis
- Tax Settlements
- Tax Treaty Analysis and Planning
- Tennessee Business Tax
- Tennessee Franchise and Excise Tax
- Tennessee Indebtedness Tax
- Tennessee Miscellaneous Taxes
- Tennessee Sales & Use Tax
- Tennessee Tax Litigation
- Transfer Pricing
- Trust Administration (including litigation)
- Trust Agreements
- Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Voting Trusts
- Welfare Benefits (health, disability and life insurance)
"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes."
—J. Learned Hand, Helvering v. Gregory, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934), citing United States v. Isham, 84 U.S. (17 Wall.) 496, 506, 21 L.Ed 728 (1873).
UK Women Innovators Network Panel Discussion
Time: 3:30pm - 5:30pm
University of Kentucky, Gatton Student Center, Ballroom 212A, 160 Avenue of Champions, Lexington, KY
Join Mandy Decker and the UK Office of Technology Commercialization for the UK Women Innovators Network panel discussion of the book "Funded Female Founders: How to traverse the uneven playing field and secure funding to grow your business."
Children’s Advocacy Center of the Bluegrass Elects Gentry Collins to Board of Directors
LEXINGTON, Ky.—Children’s Advocacy Center of the Bluegrass (CAC of the Bluegrass) has elected Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Gentry C. Collins to its Board of Directors. She will serve a three-year term.
When Race & Gender Meet: Experiences of Black Women in the Law
Time: 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Louisville Bar Association Bar Center, 600 West Main Street, Louisville, KY 40202
Louisville office attorney Calesia Henson will be a member of the panel discussing "When Race & Gender Meet: Experiences of Black Women in Law" following the Louisville Bar Association's Justice William E. McAnulty Jr. Trailblazer Award presentation.
Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 49 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2023
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—The 2023 edition of Kentucky Super Lawyers recently honored 49 Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys in the Covington, Frankfort, Lexington and Louisville, Ky., offices. The publication named 37 attorneys to the Super Lawyers list and 12 attorneys to the Rising Stars list.
Nine Stites & Harbison Attorneys Honored by 2022 Mid-South Super Lawyers
NASHVILLE, Tenn.—The 2022 edition of Mid-South Super Lawyers recently honored nine Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys. Six attorneys were named to the Super Lawyers list and three were named to the Rising Stars list.
Stites & Harbison Earns 87 Rankings in 2023 "Best Law Firms" List
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers® have released their 2023 “Best Law Firms” rankings. Stites & Harbison, PLLC’s three National Tier 1 rankings include: Litigation – Construction, Litigation – Real Estate, and Trademark Law. The firm’s overall results include 87 metropolitan rankings in six regions.
IFLR1000 Honors Stites & Harbison and James C. Seiffert in 2022
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—IFLR1000 has announced that Stites & Harbison, PLLC and attorney James C. Seiffert have been honored in IFLR1000 United States for 2022. Seiffert is ranked as “highly regarded” in the practice areas of banking and finance as well as corporate and mergers and acquisitions. Stites & Harbison has been ranked Tier 1 in Kentucky for financial and corporate services, ranked Tier 3 in Georgia (US) for restructuring and insolvency and recommended in Tennessee for financial and corporate and real estate services.
7th Annual Accounting Risk Management Seminar
Time: 11:45 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
City Springs Conference Center, 1 Galambos Way, Sandy Springs, GA 30328
Stites & Harbison's Accounting Defense Team will present this Accounting Risk seminar on October 26th at the City Springs Conference Center in Atlanta.
Stites & Harbison, PLLC Lawyers Named to 2023 Best Lawyers® Publications
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Stites & Harbison, PLLC is pleased to announce that 98 of its lawyers are included in the 2023 Edition of The Best Lawyers in America©. Additionally, 11 Stites & Harbison attorneys are named as “Lawyer of the Year” and 19 attorneys are recognized in “Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch,” which recognizes attorneys early in their careers for outstanding professional excellence in private practice in the United States.
Stites & Harbison Welcomes Gentry Collins
LEXINGTON, Ky.—Stites & Harbison, PLLC welcomes attorney Gentry C. Collins to the firm. She joins the Trusts & Estates Service Group and will be based in the firm’s Lexington, Ky., office servicing clients across the Commonwealth.
Stites & Harbison Attorneys Honored by 2022 Georgia Super Lawyers
ATLANTA—The 2022 edition of Georgia Super Lawyers recently honored four Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorneys based in the firm’s Atlanta office. Of special note, Joe Kingma was named to the Top 100 Georgia Lawyers list for the fifth time.