Marc S. Murphy
Location: Louisville, KY
Marc Murphy has been a courtroom attorney for his entire career, prosecuting and defending in the most challenging, high-profile and complex commercial and white collar criminal cases in Kentucky and Indiana.
As Chair of Stites' White Collar Practice Group and a Member of the firm's Class Action Practice Group, Mr. Murphy's practice consists of representing individuals and corporations in complex commercial litigation and white collar criminal matters, such as antitrust, environmental crimes, healthcare fraud and tax fraud. He defends individuals in high profile general criminal matters and accepts appointments by the courts for indigent representation as a public service. He has substantial experience in federal and administrative litigation and in federal and state grand jury investigations.
Mr. Murphy's success as a trial attorney has been widely-reported. He has tried two murder prosecutions to complete acquittals. He accepts capital crime appointments from the Jefferson County Public Defender. He is a frequent lecturer on crime and justice issues, and is a regular source and analyst for television and print publications.
- Louisville Courier Journal's Editorial Cartoonist Marc Murphy, Featured on KET Louisville Life, February 2015
What Clients Say
. . . an incredibly well-prepared and talented commercial litigator.
. . . highly recommended . . .
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "A New Era of Justice for Businesses, Too?," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, September 7, 2017
- "Breakfast of Champions," featured speaker, November 15, 2016
More Than Stites & Harbison
In 1995, Marc was appointed by the Governor of Kentucky as Jefferson County/Louisville's Commonwealth's Attorney, the chief prosecutor and law enforcement officer of the largest city in the state. His service in Latin America and in Europe as a Judge Advocate General trial counsel and Assistant Staff Judge Advocate earned him Meritorious Service Medals. During that time, in addition to trial prosecution, he conducted murder investigations in El Salvador, Panama and Germany. After his Judge Advocate General service, Mr. Murphy was a felony prosecutor in Indiana, and, while in private practice there, served as a Judge Pro-Tem. He has taught criminal law, trial practice and business litigation for Florida State University and the University of Louisville.
Outside the firm, Mr. Murphy is active in numerous community groups. His involvement includes Metro Louisville Legal Aid Campaign, the Kentucky Juvenile Justice Commission, the Metro Louisville Library Task Force, the Louisville Neighborhood Institute and Community Design Center and the Kentucky Youth Association. He is the head basketball coach for Nativity Academy, an inner-city school serving at-risk youth. Marc is an accomplished illustrator and his editorial cartoons are a regular feature of the Louisville Courier-Journal.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation and Criminal Defense: White Collar (2008-19)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Criminal Defense: White-Collar Lawyer of the Year (2018)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2008-18)
Chambers USA "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Litigation: General Commercial (2013, 2014)
Louisville Magazine's "Top Lawyers" for Litigation (2008) and for White Collar Criminal Defense (2013, 2014, 2016)
- Metro Louisville Legal Aid Campaign, Chairman
- Kentucky Juvenile Justice Commission, appointed by the Governor, Chairman
- Metro Louisville Library Task Force, appointed by the Mayor
- Louisville Neighborhood Institute and Community Design Center Member
- Kentucky Youth Association, Member
- CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates) Service Award
- Nativity Academy, inner-city school serving at-risk youth, Head Basketball Coach
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 42 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2019
- Best Lawyers in America honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2019
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers names 11 Stites & Harbison attorneys as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Chambers USA honors Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2014
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Eighty-nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Seventy-five Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in Best Lawyers in America
- Thirty-five Stites & Harbison attorneys selected for inclusion on Kentucky Super Lawyers for 2001
- Chambers USA honors 31 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2011 guide
- Chambers USA honors 32 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2010 guide
- Seventy-two Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in “Best Lawyers in America”