|Date:||May 06, 2019|
|Time:||12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.|
United States Capitol (US Capitol Visitors Center), First Street Northeast, Room SVC 209-08, Washington, DC 20004
Presented by the International Intellectual Property Commercialization Counsel (IIPCC)
Join our panels of experts as we explore the state of innovation in the United States from the private, government, academic, and public perspectives. Panelists will address the question of "what is the state of innovation in the United States?" from their personal perspectives. Each panel will include an moderated armchair-style Q&A session with the panelist and provide a unique opportunity to discuss issues related to innovation in the United States.
- The Honorable Andrei Iancu – Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Dr. Carl J. Schramm – University Professor, Syracuse University and Former President of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
- Mr. Patrick Kilbride – Senior Vice President of the Global Innovation Policy Center (GIPC) at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce
- Mr. Colman Ragan - Vice President & General Counsel, North America IP Litigation at Teva Pharmaceuticals
- Ms. Ami Patel Shah – Managing Director, Fortress Investment Group (Moderator)
- Opening remarks by The Honorable David J. Kappos, Partner at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP and former Under Secretary of Commerce and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Closing remark by The Honorable Randall R. Rader, Founder of the Rader Group and former Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Other panelist include:
- Mr. P.J. Bellomo – Executive Chairman, Blue Sources
- Mr. Matthew Byer – Corporate Intellectual Property Manager, Zoeller Pump Company
- Ms. Shana Glenzer – Principal, Upright Consulting and Cofounder of DCFemTech
- Mr. G. Nagesh Rao – Director, Business Technology Solutions (BiTS), U.S. Small Business Administration
- Prof. Neel Sukhatme – Associate Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
- Mr. Paul R. Zielinski – Director, Technology Partnerships Office, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
- Mr. Everardo Ruiz – Managing Director, Fund Investment and IP Advisory (Moderator)
12:00 – 12:30 Registration
12:30 –12:45 Opening remarks - The Honorable David J. Kappos
12:45 – 2:15 “Boot on the Ground” – What is the state of innovation from those working and studying commercialization and innovation daily? What are the challenges to innovation from a practical to policy perspective? Hear perspectives from the diverse group of voices of our panel.
2:15 – 2:45 Coffee break and networking session
2:45 – 4:45 “The Next Five Years” – Perspectives on the current state of innovation in the United States and what the innovation pathway looks like for the next five years. What are the most pressing challenges that the United States must address to continue to lead in innovation? Under Secretary Andrei Iancu, Professor Carl Schramm, Mr. Patrick Kilbride, and Mr. Colman Ragan will provide their perspectives in a moderated panel led by Ms. Ami Shah followed by an extended Q&A session with the audience in an arm chair discussion.
4:45 – 5:00 Closing remarks – The Honorable Randall R. Rader
Important Notices for Attendees
Please enter the event via the United States Capitol Visitors Center off of First Street NE. Admission is complementary, but preregistration is required for security pre-screening in advance of the event.
Please refer to this link that highlights prohibited items within the Capitol building. In particular, note that bags in excess of 18" wide x 14" high x 8.5" deep are not permitted in the Capitol.
You will be required to show a valid government-issued ID to obtain entry