Richard D. Flexner
Location: Atlanta, GA
Richard D. Flexner is a seasoned lawyer with more than 35 years of experience. He focuses on real estate investment, development and finance, joint ventures and business transactions. He is experienced in representing real estate developers, investors and sponsors of equity funds on a whole host of commercial real estate properties, including multi-family, mixed use, retail, hotels and subdivisions.
Mr. Flexner negotiates and structures sophisticated joint ventures and strategic partnerships, forms partnerships, limited liability companies and other tax-efficient entities, and helps resolve disputes. He has also handled workout, restructuring and foreclosure of real estate assets for institutional lenders and investors.
- Formed private equity fund for Dutch client to recapitalize and acquire multi-family portfolio in southeastern United States
- Recapitalized several real estate limited liability companies to facilitate equity joint ventures and obtain new mezzanine debt
- Represented retail developer in negotiation of ground lease and development of Maryland shopping center
- Represented private equity fund in joint venture formed to acquire and convert multi-family projects to condominium, financed with both mortgage and mezzanine debt. The transaction employed a complex organizational structure consisting of more than ten limited partnerships and limited liability companies with interlocking ownership and management control features.
- Converted historical office building to residential/retail mixed use.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Non-Recourse Carveouts– Common Misconceptions," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, March 25, 2015
- "Mezzanine Financing: The Intercreditor Agreement," published in Financial Institutions Advisor, Fall 2004
- "Remedies in Joint Venture Agreements," Advanced Real Estate Seminar, Nashville, Tenn., March 2003
More Than Stites & Harbison
Mr. Flexner is an active supporter of the C5 Youth Foundation, Habitat for Humanity and a former member of the boards of directors of the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce and the Georgia Partners of the Americas. He enjoys cycling, tennis, swimming, cooking and travel, and likes to indulge all of these interests in Europe, Latin America and the Western United States.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated