Rebecca A. Weis
Location: Louisville, KY
Rebecca Weis is a member of Stites & Harbison, PLLC. Her practice includes counseling and litigation in which she represents employers of all sizes in employment and business-related disputes.
Rebecca focuses primarily on traditional employment law. She regularly defends clients against employee charges and lawsuits asserting claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. She also defends alleged violations of whistleblower statutes and laws governing disability accommodation, family and medical leave, and wage and hour requirements.
Rebecca helps her clients mitigate risk associated with employment-related claims through strong policies, handbooks, contracts, and in-house training. She also regularly advises human resources professionals, in-house counsel, supervisors, and business owners regarding difficult and challenging disciplinary and termination decisions.
Additionally, Rebecca has substantial experience drafting and litigating both sides of disputes arising from non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements. She has been successful in obtaining and defending against injunctive relief arising from restrictive covenants, and has tried such cases to verdict.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Restrictive Covenants and Non-Compete Agreements: A Look Back and What’s Ahead," WEBCAST, speaker, The Knowledge Group, December 5, 2018
- "Local Government Cannot Raise Minimum Wage Rate in Kentucky," Stites & Harbison Legal Update, October 21, 2016
- "Are Your Salaried Employees Still Exempt?," Stites & Harbison Legal Update, May 18, 2016
- "Employee Handbooks and Restrictive Covenants," Louisville Better Business Bureau Breakfast Series, August 11, 2015
- "Data Breach Prevention and Response," with Ian T. Ramsey, Ozair M. Shariff, Southern Indiana Society for Human Resources Management, June 9, 2015
Before Stites & Harbison
Rebecca joined Stites & Harbison in September of 2009 after participating in the firm's summer associate program in 2007 and 2008. Before law school, Rebecca worked as an executive assistant in the Kentucky Lieutenant Governor's Office and as a communications intern at the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. Rebecca also actively participated in university politics throughout her undergraduate and law school careers, advocating student rights as both Student Body President at the University of Kentucky and President of the Student Bar Association at the University of Louisville Law School.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Rebecca serves on the Economic Development Committee for Greater Louisville, Inc., is a board member for Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Foundation, and the Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies. She is also a founding member of Give 502 and is past President (2013-14) of the Board of Directors for the Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL). Rebecca was named to the "Forty under 40" list by Business First of Louisville for 2013.
Besides Stites & Harbison
In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two dogs. A native of Columbus, Ohio, Rebecca is also an avid Ohio State football fan.
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2013-18)
University of Louisville Law Alumni Council, Recent Alumna Award (2017)
Attorney to Watch, Business First of Louisville (2015)
"Forty under 40" List, Business First of Louisville (2013)
Insider Louisville YP Top Influencer
- Greater Louisville, Inc., Economic Development Committee
- Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Foundation, Board of Directors
- Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies, Board of Directors
- Give 502, Founding Member
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 42 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2019
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Rebecca Weis earns 2017 University of Louisville Law Alumni Council Award
- Stites & Harbison promotes five attorneys in 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14