Rebecca A. Weis
Location: Louisville, KY
Rebecca Weis is a member of the Employment Law Service Group and her practice is primarily devoted to labor and employment litigation and counseling. Her practice also includes general civil and business litigation.
Rebecca defends employers in state and federal civil suits involving Title VII, the Kentucky Civil Rights Act (KCRA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), and common law tort actions related to employment. She also defends employers in administrative actions with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Kentucky Commission on Human Rights (KCHR), and the Department of Labor (DOL). In addition to her litigation practice, Rebecca drafts and assists with the enforcement of business contracts, employment policies, handbooks and contracts, and non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Local Government Cannot Raise Minimum Wage Rate in Kentucky," Stites & Harbison Legal Update, October 21, 2016
- "Are Your Salaried Employees Still Exempt?," Stites & Harbison Legal Update, May 18, 2016
- "Employee Handbooks and Restrictive Covenants," Louisville Better Business Bureau Breakfast Series, August 11, 2015
- "Data Breach Prevention and Response," with Ian T. Ramsey, Ozair M. Shariff, Southern Indiana Society for Human Resources Management, June 9, 2015
- "A “Supreme” Summer for Employers," with Demetrius O. Holloway, Thirsty Thursday, Stites & Harbison networking event, October 24, 2013
- "It’s time to update your EEOC Workplace Notice poster," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Client Alert, November 10, 2009
Before Stites & Harbison
Rebecca joined Stites & Harbison in September of 2009 after participating in the firm's summer associate program in 2007 and 2008. Before law school, Rebecca worked as an executive assistant in the Kentucky Lieutenant Governor's Office and as a communications intern at the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet. Rebecca also actively participated in university politics throughout her undergraduate and law school careers, advocating student rights as both Student Body President at the University of Kentucky and President of the Student Bar Association at the University of Louisville Law School.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Rebecca serves on the Economic Development Committee for Greater Louisville, Inc., is a board member for Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Foundation, and the Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies. She is also a founding member of Give 502 and is past President (2013-14) of the Board of Directors for the Young Professionals Association of Louisville (YPAL). Rebecca was named to the "Forty under 40" list by Business First of Louisville for 2013.
Besides Stites & Harbison
In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys traveling and spending time with her husband and two dogs. A native of Columbus, Ohio, Rebecca is also an avid Ohio State football fan.
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2013-18)
"Forty under 40" List, Business First of Louisville (2013)
YPAL Insider 502 Top Influencer
- Greater Louisville, Inc., Economic Development Committee
- Jewish Hospital & St. Mary's Foundation, Board of Directors
- Kids Center for Pediatric Therapies, Board of Directors
- Give 502, Founding Member
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Rebecca Weis earns 2017 University of Louisville Law Alumni Council Award
- Stites & Harbison promotes five attorneys in 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14