Melissa Hunter Smith
Location: Nashville, TN
Melissa Hunter Smith is a Member of the firm located in the Nashville office where she is a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology Service Group. Melissa's practice is primarily focused on patent litigation. Her practice also includes trademark and copyright litigation and prosecution matters.
- Successfully obtained judgment as a matter of law in favor of the defendant in a patent infringement jury trial before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- Participated in a jury trial for patent infringement that resulted in a multi-million dollar verdict for a client in the lighting industry
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "How to Avoid March Sadness During March Madness," Trademarkology Blog, March 18, 2015
- "The Supreme Court Redefines 'Exceptionality' and Lowers Bar for Recovery of Attorney Fees in Patent Suits," with Joel T. Beres, Business Law Today, American Bar Association, Vol. 23, Issue 10, June 2014
- "Supreme Court Issues Two Cases Controlling When Attorney’s Fees May Be Awarded in Patent Suits," with Joel T. Beres, Stites & Harbison Client Alert, April 29, 2014
- "Tennessee and Kentucky Draft Legislation Targeting Patent Trolls," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, March 10, 2014
More Than Stites & Harbison
Melissa serves as Secretary of the Board of Directors for the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Greater Nashville. She is a graduate of the Young Leaders Council, Class 50.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Melissa enjoys hiking, traveling, and watching University of Tennessee football games.
Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2013-17)
- Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Greater Nashville, Secretary of the Board of Directors
- Young Leaders Council, Class 50
- Eleven Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by 2017 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Stites & Harbison promotes 15 attorneys in 2016
- Ten Stites & Harbison Attorneys Honored by 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Stites & Harbison attorney named Top 50 Nashville & Top 100 Tennessee by Mid-South Super Lawyers
- First patent suits under Patent Pilot Program filed in the Western District of Tennessee