1946-2015 In Memoriam
John Famularo passed away peacefully on October 23, 2015. He was an active trial lawyer for more than 40 years. He successfully argued the boundary dispute case of Ohio v. Kentucky before the U.S. Supreme Court in 1973, and successfully secured verdicts in more than 100 cases in a wide range of products. He was a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and Regent of the ACTL Board representing Region IX, which consists of Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee and Michigan. He was a co-chair of the firm’s Torts & Insurance Practice Service Group, and his practice was primarily in defense of pharmaceutical companies, product liability matters, class action defense and complex litigation. He served as Chief Judge of the 22nd Judicial District in Lexington and was General Counsel for Roman Catholic Diocese of Lexington.
- Lead counsel in the defense of the OxyContin litigation in Kentucky for the Purdue Company resulting in Summary Judgment in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
- Successfully obtained dismissal of the sexual abuse cases against the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lexington, including the clarification by the Kentucky Supreme Court on the press's right to publish under First Amendment arguments, materials stricken from a Complaint
- Successfully defended Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company in a major product case and established Kentucky's adoption of both Daubert and Kumho Tire on appeal to the Supreme Court of Kentucky
Before Stites & Harbison
John served as an Assistant Attorney General for the Commonwealth of Kentucky, first assistant prosecutor for the 22nd Judicial Circuit and Chief Judge of the 22nd Judicial District sitting in Lexington, Kentucky.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Civic and community involvement included Big Brothers/Big Sisters Board of Directors, the Board of Governors of Kentucky Bar Association, and President of the School Boards for Christ the King Parochial School and Lexington Catholic High School.
Besides Stites & Harbison
John enjoyed Kentucky basketball, thoroughbred horse racing, fishing, hunting, golf and travel.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants (1993-2016)
Best Lawyers in America®, Lexington Area Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants Lawyer of the Year (2012)
Kentucky Super Lawyers (2007-15)
Kentucky Super Lawyers, Top 50 Lawyers in the state
Benchmark Litigation magazine, Litigation Star (2015, 2016)
Who's Who Legal, Litigation (2015)
- Stites & Harbison Attorney and American College of Trial Lawyer Fellow John Famularo Passes Away
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Stites & Harbison’s John Famularo Inducted into UK College of Law Hall of Fame
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation names 15 Stites & Harbison Litigation Stars and two Future Stars
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Eighty-nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Best Lawyers names Stites & Harbison attorneys as 2012 Lawyers of the Year
- Seventy-five Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in Best Lawyers in America
- Thirty-five Stites & Harbison attorneys selected for inclusion on Kentucky Super Lawyers for 2001
- Seventy-three Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in “Best Lawyers in America”
- Stites & Harbison attorney elected as Regent of American College of Trial Lawyers
- Seventy-two Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in “Best Lawyers in America”