Erika R. Barnes
Location: Nashville, TN
Erika Barnes is a member of the firm's Creditors' Rights and Bankruptcy Service Group and the Business Litigation Service Group. Erika represents creditors and franchisors in bankruptcy cases nationwide. She also has experience representing creditors' committees and Chapter 11 trustees. Erika handles complex commercial litigation matters in state and federal courts. She frequently represents lenders and special servicers in commercial foreclosures and mortgage litigation. Erika is certified as a specialist in Business Bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification.
- Johnson Assocs. Corp. v. HL Operating Corp., dba Hartmann, 680 F.3d 713 (6th Cir. May 23, 2012), affirming 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 126751 (M.D. Tenn. November 30, 2010)
- KFC Corp. v. Wagstaff Minnesota, Inc. (In re Wagstaff Minnesota, Inc.), 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 372 (D. Minn. January 3, 2012), reversing bankruptcy court decision
- In re Kazi Foods of Michigan, Inc., 473 B.R. 887 (Bankr. E.D. Mich. August 4, 2011)
- T&L Invs., LLC v. Bayview Small Business Funding, LLC, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 10552 (M.D. Tenn. February 2, 2011)
- Nat'l City Bank v. Breeden, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 132038 (W.D. Ky. October 29, 2009)
- Assisted secured creditor with Chapter 11 bankruptcy representation and recovery on loan secured by major downtown Nashville hotel
- Represented national restaurant franchisors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of franchisee involving more than 120 franchise locations
- Represented secured creditors and loan servicers in receiverships and foreclosures of apartment complexes, hotels, retail space and other commercial property
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors for the Jockey's Guild, Inc. Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Represented the liquidating trustee for the Lightyear Holdings, Inc., et al. Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Successfully litigated trial and appeal of breach of contract claim
- Represented major equipment finance companies in bankruptcy and collection matters
What Clients Say
Erika is an outstanding attorney!
. . . top-notch lawyer who stands well above her peers in ability.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Tarnished Arches: A Survey of Franchise Bankruptcy Issues," Nashville Bar Association CLE, April 10, 2017
- "To License or not to License? Debt Holders and Purchasers Who Hire Licensed Debt Collectors or Attorneys Not Required to Obtain Own Debt Collection License from the State of Tennessee.," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, April 29, 2015
- "The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act: What it means for creditors’ rights," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, July 3, 2013
- "Procedural arguments may carry the day, but only if timely raised," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, February 20, 2013
- "Bootcamp: Foreclosure and Loan Workout Procedures," National Business Institute, September 2011
- "Tennessee foreclosure statutes: Lenders, take note," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Client Alert, June 18, 2010
- "The Law and Practice of Foreclosure," 29th Annual Conference on Legal Issues for Financial Institutions, University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Ky., September 2009
- "What to do When a Construction Project Goes Bad," with Joseph L. Hardesty, Steven M. Henderson, Angela R. Stephens, Lorman Education Services, Louisville, Ky., February 26, 2008
- "Bank Garnishments - Do Your Duty!," Kentucky Banker Magazine, October 2007
- "In-Depth Title Insurance Principles," National Business Institute, June 2007
More Than Stites & Harbison
Erika is a member of the board of directors of the American Board of Certification, an organization that certifies attorneys as specialists in business bankruptcy, consumer bankruptcy and creditors' rights law. She is Chair of the Tennessee Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Executive Council and is a graduate of the 2011 Nashville Emerging Leaders Class. Erika also actively participates in the Lawyers' Association for Women.
Before Stites & Harbison
During law school, Erika worked as a legal intern for Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation. She was a French translator for ITI Worldwide in Cookeville, Tenn., from 1999 to 2000.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Mid-South Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2012-16)
National Association of Trial Advocacy, NITA Advocate
Board Certified - Business Bankruptcy Law- American Board of Certification.
- Nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by 2016 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Ten Stites & Harbison Attorneys Honored by 2015 Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Stites & Harbison attorney named Top 50 Nashville & Top 100 Tennessee by Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Stites & Harbison attorney named among Top 50 & Top 100 Attorneys by Mid-South Super Lawyers
- Stites & Harbison names eight new members and one new counsel