Bruce B. Paul
Location: Jeffersonville, IN
Bruce B. Paul is a Member of the firm in the Torts & Insurance, Business Litigation, and Financial Institutions Services Litigation practice groups. He has a broad range of experience representing businesses in commercial disputes and personal injury claims.
Within his litigation practice, Bruce is frequently called on for counsel in discovery strategy and disputes, including litigation hold communications, preserving and recovery of electronic records, privilege challenges, and confidentiality challenges. Bruce is also skilled at using technology and alternative communication strategies to convey mundane points of law and client positions to judges, juries, arbitrators, and mediators.
- Succeeded in striking Plaintiff's expert witness in medical device action
- Currently defending mail-order pharmacy company in wrongful death action
- Currently representing orthopedic implant company in multiple product liability actions in both state and federal court
- Lead counsel in the trial of case involving the developing area of online “business reputation management.” Stites obtained injunctive relief and a monetary judgment for our Internet-company-client who was a victim of defamatory online reviews.
- Obtained judgment and repossession of secured collateral for a client at the trial of a complicated case where client’s secured collateral had changed hands multiple times, been re-titled using false instruments, and bought by an innocent purchaser.
- Leveraged claimant's years-old bankruptcy filings to obtain a favorable ruling for bank-client in an arbitration involving missing property from bank safe-deposit box.
- Lead counsel to a national apartment developer at the successful trial of a utility dispute with municipality. Favorable outcome was affirmed on appeal in the published opinion City of Jeffersonville v. Hallmark at Jeffersonville, L.P., 937 N.E.2d 402 (Ind. Ct. App. 2011).
- Numerous successful dispositive motions for national lenders and loan servicers on unfair lending, fair debt collection, negligence, and fraud claims.
- Significant experience navigating civil and bankruptcy courts on behalf of lenders seeking immediate relief and recovery of property.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Leatt Corportation notches another product liability victory with help of Stites & Harbison, PLLC," with John L. Tate, Robin E. McGuffin, Stites & Harbison Client Alert, September 26, 2017
- "How will regional economic development initiatives affect your business?," with Louisville Forward, Mary Ellen Widerwohl; Advantage Louisville, Susan Overton; and One Southern Indiana, Wendy Dant Chesser, 2015 MMA Manufacturing Summit - Bridging the Power of Our Regional Assets, September 11, 2015
- "Don't Let Those Codefendants Get Away: Preserving Your Right to Allocate Fault to Nonparties," Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Vol. XI (2014)
- "Recovering Runaway Collateral (Even Across State Lines)," with Brian M. Bennett, Stites & Harbison Client Alert, June 30, 2014
- "Dealing with Pro Se Parties in Litigation," Sherman Minton Inns of Court, October 2010
- "Tell Me About Your Other Widgets: The Discoverability of Other Products and Accidents in Product Liability Cases," Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Vol. VI (2009)
- "Federal Preemption of Class III Medical Devices Approved under the Premarket Approval Process," Indiana Civil Litigation Review, Volume IV (2007)
Before Stites & Harbison
Before joining Stites & Harbison as an associate, Bruce served as a field representative to Indiana Congressman Baron Hill, 1999 to 2004. As a field representative, Bruce assisted local communities and organizations in securing federal appropriations and grants. He also worked on economic development projects involving federal investment.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Bruce volunteers for the Louisville Legal Aid Society and Gilda's Club of Kentuckiana, where he is a member of the board of directors. He has previously served on the boards of directors for One Southern Indiana, Personal Counseling Services, and the Kentucky-Indiana Exchange (KIX). Bruce's most recent passion—inspired by his youngest daughter—is advocating for children with congenital heart defects and other pre-existing health conditions.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Bruce tries to exercise as often as possible in order to keep up with his wife Mari-Elise, three children, and the family puppy. Exercise is also important to counterbalance Bruce’s love of food and drink. Bruce still finds ways to "scratch his political itch"—mostly by supporting good candidates for public office.
Indiana Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2009, 2011-16)
Benchmark Litigation, Future Star (2018-19)
Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hot List (2016)
- Gilda's Club Louisville, board of directors
- Louisville Legal Aid Society, volunteer attorney
- Leadership Southern Indiana, graduate
- Leadership Louisville, Bingham Fellows Program, graduate
- Benchmark Litigation 2019 Honors 15 Stites & Harbison Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation honors 16 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- 2017 Indiana Super Lawyers honor Neal Bailen and Bruce Paul
- Stites & Harbison Attorneys named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List for 2016
- 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers honor Neal Bailen and Bruce Paul
- Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Indiana Super Lawyers for 2015
- Stites & Harbison promotes 15 attorneys in 2015
- Indiana Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2014
- Indiana Super Lawyers honors three Stites & Harbison attorneys in 2013
- Indiana Super Lawyers honors four Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2012
- Indiana Super Lawyers honors Robert Lanum, Allen Morris and Bruce Paul