Alfred S. Joseph III
Location: Louisville, KY
Fred Joseph has been an attorney for more than 45 years, earning a national reputation in real estate law. Fred was the first attorney to receive the March of Dimes REACH Award given annually to a person whose commercial real estate activities and community service have significantly enhanced the Kentuckiana Area. He was also honored by induction into the Atherton High School Hall of Fame.
A transactional lawyer, he focuses on all aspects of real estate law with an emphasis on affordable housing, commercial lending and land use.
- Lead attorney representing the Louisville Metro Housing Authority in the award winning $200+ million HOPE VI Park DuValle Revitalization and the $235 million Clarksdale Hope VI Revitalization, and the $255 million Sheppard Square Revitalization
- Counsel to The Cordish Company in the $75 million revitalization of Louisville Galleria as 4th Street Live
- Lead real estate counsel to the Louisville Regional Airport Authority in the Heritage Creek Innovative Housing Program
What Clients Say
. . . excellent Alfred Joseph is highly esteemed for his strengths in commercial lending and is also highly acclaimed for his expertise in affordable housing matters.
. . . is outstanding on all fronts.
. . . always responsive . . . easily available . . . very capable and knowledgeable in all aspects of real estate law . . .
There's no better than him.
. . . the dean of Kentucky real estate.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "The 'Architectural Downfall' of Fred Joseph: How the Louisville attorney worked his passions for civil rights and building into a community-based real estate practice," by Jenny Burman, SuperLawyers.com, January 2018
- "Kentucky Real Estate Law and Practice," Handbook Chairman of 2 volume treatise, published by University of Kentucky Law School Office of Continuing Legal Education
- "State by State Guide to Commercial Real Estate Leases," Author, Kentucky Chapter, Aspen Publishers, Mark Senn, Editor, 2004
- "Certificates of Insurance: The Illusion of Protection," Co-author with Arthur E. Pape, Probate & Property (the magazine of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the American Bar Association), January/February 1995 [Awarded the 1995 Excellence in Writing Award by Probate & Property]
More Than Stites & Harbison
After law school, Fred was Assistant Counsel in the Office of Economic Opportunity in the Executive Office of the President. He was Assistant Counsel to the Civil Rights Oversight Subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee of the U. S. House of Representatives. Fred is a former board member of the Louisville Free Public Library Foundation and he has served as chairman of the Kentucky Oral History Commission, president of the Legal Aid Society of Louisville and the Jewish Community Federation of Louisville, as well as a member of a wide range of other community boards including the Louisville Downtown Development Corporation, Louisville and Jefferson County Regional Justice Commission, and Jefferson County Comprehensive Land Use Plan Committee. In addition to his interests in genealogy, woodworking and travel, Fred is an avid fly-fisherman.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning Law (1983-2019)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Areas Lawyer of the Year for Real Estate Law (2014, 2013 and 2010)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2007-18)
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Top 50 Lawyers in the state
Chambers USA, "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Real Estate (2005-18)
The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (the first Kentucky lawyer listed in real estate section)
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 42 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2019
- Best Lawyers in America honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2019
- Chambers USA 2018 Honors Stites & Harbison
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Chambers USA 2017 honors Stites & Harbison
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Chambers USA 2016 Honors Stites & Harbison
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Chambers USA 2015 honors Stites & Harbison
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Chambers USA honors Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2014
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Eighty-nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Best Lawyers names Stites & Harbison attorneys as 2014 Lawyers of the Year
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys
- Seventy-five Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in Best Lawyers in America
- Thirty-five Stites & Harbison attorneys selected for inclusion on Kentucky Super Lawyers for 2001
- Chambers USA honors 31 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2011 guide
- Chambers USA honors 32 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2010 guide
- Best Lawyers names Stites & Harbison attorneys as 2010 Lawyers of the Year
- Seventy-two Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in “Best Lawyers in America”