University of Louisville Louis D. Brandeis School of Law
J.D., cum laude, 1970
Editor in Chief, Journal of Family Law; Delta Theta Phi, Outstanding Senior Award; Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society; Outstanding Navy Graduate; Naval Institute Award; Reserve Officers Association Award
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Advocacy
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Class Action, Mass Action & Multi-District Litigation
- Commercial Disputes - Contracts and Business Torts
- Complex / Large Litigation
- Fiduciary Duty, Trade Secret and Unfair Competition Litigation
- Franchise, License and Agency Litigation
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Multi-State, Multi-District and Serial Litigation
- Professional Liability (Non-Medical Professionals)
- Trade Association Law
- Trial Practice
- Health Care - Regulatory and Compliance
- Health Care Litigation and Investigations
- Health Insurance and Managed Care
- Pharmaceuticals, Medical Devices, and Healthcare Litigation
- Consumer Products / Food / Beverage
- Government Procurement & Contracts
- Health Care
- Not For Profit & Professional / Trade Organizations
- Industrial / Manufacturing Facilities
- Pharmaceutical / Medical Devices
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Society of Medical Association Counsel
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel
- Louisville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Judicial Nominating Commission for the 30th Judicial Circuit
- Kentucky Defense Counsel
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Life Member
". . . an outstanding litigator who is fantastic in the courtroom."
- ChambersUSA 2010
". . . an incredibly safe pair of hands."
- ChambersUSA 2005
Mike Cronan is a member and former Managing Partner (1994-1997) of the firm. His practice focuses on civil litigation, with emphasis on business and complex litigation, health care law, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Co-counsel for plaintiff in a successful federal district court Lanham Act lawsuit for infringement of a registered trademark and false designation of origin
- Representation of an international company on equipment obsolescence and product liability issues
- Representation of hospital medical staffs and physicians in peer review matters, including successful defense affirmed on Sixth Circuit appeal involving a physician's antitrust lawsuit challenging hospital's denial of his clinical privileges
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
Over the past 25 years, Mr. Cronan has made dozens of seminar presentations and has written numerous articles and other publications relating to litigation and health care law. He has contributed to chapters in three editions of the University of Kentucky publication, Kentucky Health Care Law (2004 4th Edition).
Before Stites & Harbison
After graduating from law school in 1970, until 1974 when he joined Stites & Harbison, Mr. Cronan served as a Lieutenant, Judge Advocate General's Corps, USNR, at the law center for the Eleventh Naval District, San Diego, California, and in the Office of Staff Judge Advocate, Commander Cruiser Destroyer Forces, Pacific.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Mike is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (1993-2013) in the categories of Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants and Product Liability Litigation - Defendants for 2013. He was named a 2013 Lawyer of the Year in Bet-the-Company Litigation, a 2011 Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law, and 2009 Louisville Bet-the-Company Litigator of the Year by the magazine. He is listed in Chambers Global - The World's Leading Lawyers as a "Leader in their Field" for 2012 and he is also listed in Chambers USA, "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," 2004-2011 and in Kentucky Super Lawyers magazine, where he was again named one of the Top 10 Attorneys in Kentucky. He has been named a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark: Litigation Magazine, 2008 and 2009. Mike was named to the 2010 Partners in Health Care by Business First for his vital work for the health care industry.
Civic and community involvement includes Board Secretary for the Louisville Bar Association (2013); Rotary Club of Louisville; GuardiaCare Services, Inc. (Chairman of the Board, 2001-2004); Holy Spirit Church (President, Parish Council, 2000-2003); Citizens for Better Judges (Attorney Steering Committee, 1983-Present); and, Medical Foundation of the Jefferson County Medical Society (Community Advisor, 1983-2006).
Besides Stites & Harbison
Mike—a former volunteer firefighter for many years—has a passion for antique fire engines and is the proud owner of a 1956 Maxim Pumper which resides in its own fire house adjacent to his garage.