Mark R. Overstreet
Location: Frankfort, KY
Mr. Overstreet represents businesses and individuals in their relations with and regulation by state and local governments. He has 30 years experience in handling complex matters before state administrative agencies. Mr. Overstreet regularly represents electric and telecommunications companies.
Mr. Overstreet also litigates state constitutional and administrative law matters before the state and federal courts.
- Successfully represented the Kentucky General Assembly in defending an action brought by more than 150 school districts challenging the adequacy of public school financing
- Successfully represented the Governor of Kentucky in a 2008 action brought by the President of the Kentucky Senate challenging the constitutionality of Governor's veto of Road Plan and Executive Branch's ability to expend funds in light of veto
What Clients Say
. . . always been pleased and impressed with his representation . . . highly recommened him and his associates.
. . . invaluable resource and member of our team . . . knowledgeable, responsive, and effective . . .
He does it all and does it well. I would highly recommend him.
. . . highly recommended by clients . . .
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Separation of Power and Does it Exist in the Administrative Hearing Process?," Panel Member, sponsored by the Office of the Attorney General Administrative Hearing Branch (2012)
- "General Recovery and Remedy Theories in Debtor/Creditor Law," Debtor Creditor Relations in Kentucky (3rd Ed. 2011)
- "Judicial Review of Administrative Decisions," Kentucky Civil Practice After Trial (3rd Ed. 2011)
- "Water Utility Regulation," Kentucky Water Law, Half Moon Seminars, 2011
- "2010 Administrative Law Update," Presenter, Kentucky Association of Administrative Adjudicators, 2010
- "Post-Trial Proceedings," Co-author, Kentucky Civil Practice at Trial (3rd Ed. 2008)
- "Judicial Review of Administrative Decisions," Kentucky Administrative Law (2nd Ed. 2006)
- "Comparative View of Administrative Law," Kentucky Administrative Law (2nd Ed. 2006)
- "Preclusive Effect of Administrative Determinations in Subsequent Court Proceedings," Bench & Bar, March 2004
More Than Stites & Harbison
Mark is a long time member, Treasurer and former Chairman of the Franklin County Public Library District. Mark enjoys reading and history, particularly concerning Winston Churchill and the American Civil War. He also serves as judge and moderator for all levels of Kentucky Governor's Cup quick recall competition.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Communications Law and Energy Law (1995-2019)
Best Lawyers in America®, Lexington Area Lawyer of the Year for Administrative/Regulatory Law (2018)
Best Lawyers in America®, Lexington Area Lawyer of the Year for Administrative/Regulatory Law (2012)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2007-18)
ChambersUSA, "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," Environmental, Natural Resources and Utilities (2013-15)
- Franklin County Public Library District, member and Treasurer
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 42 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2019
- Best Lawyers in America honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2019
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers names 11 Stites & Harbison attorneys as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Chambers USA 2015 honors Stites & Harbison
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Chambers USA honors Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2014
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Eighty-nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Best Lawyers names Stites & Harbison attorneys as 2012 Lawyers of the Year
- Seventy-five Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in Best Lawyers in America
- Thirty-five Stites & Harbison attorneys selected for inclusion on Kentucky Super Lawyers for 2001
- Chambers USA honors 31 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2011 guide
- Chambers USA honors 32 Stites & Harbison attorneys with inclusion in the 2010 guide
- Seventy-two Stites & Harbison attorneys honored in “Best Lawyers in America”