Chadwick A. McTighe
Location: Louisville, KY
Chad McTighe is a Member in the Louisville office. As an attorney in the Business Litigation service group, he regularly advises and represents clients in a wide range of business and commercial litigation matters, including extensive practice in class action litigation, shareholder and membership disputes, real estate litigation, data breaches, and fiduciary duty litigation. He represents clients in various industries, including oil and gas, tax liens, insurance, financial institutions, health care, and many others. He has practiced in a number of state and federal courts and has successfully argued multiple issues of first impression resulting in published appellate decisions. He is proud to have earned the respect and confidence of his clients and his peers, as reflected in his AV-Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell®, his rating by Super Lawyers, his recognition in Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List 2016, and his Global Award as Class Action Adviser of the Year – USA in 2014.
- Successfully argued multiple appeals concerning fiduciary duty and diversion of business opportunities for limited liability companies, including the proper measure of relief, matters of first impression in Kentucky. Patmon v. Hobbs, 495 S.W.3d 722 (Ky. Ct. App. 2016) and Patmon v. Hobbs, 280 S.W.3d 589 (Ky. Ct. App. 2009).
- Successfully argued matter of first impression regarding the proper application of Kentucky condominium law to a riverfront marina. Steenrod v. Louisville Yacht Club Association, Inc., 417 S.W.3d 234 (Ky. Ct. App. 2013).
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant in putative class action asserting multiple claims arising from alleged data breach.
- Successfully tried commercial lease dispute resulting in judgment in favor of client in all respects, which was affirmed on appeal. Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Ctr., LLC v. Louisville Galleria, LLC, 507 Fed. Appx. 473 (6th Cir. 2012).
- Obtained summary judgment on various statutory and constitutional claims challenging regulation of airport ground transportation. Executive Transp. Sys., LLC v. Louisville Reg’l Airport Auth., 678 F. Supp. 2d 498 (W.D. Ky. 2010).
- Defeated Plaintiffs’ effort to certify a class of current and former employees in litigation involving alleged violations of Kentucky wage and hour laws and obtained decertification of collective action involving parallel claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act. Oetinger v. First Residential Mortgage Network, Inc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 61877 (W.D. Ky. July 16, 2009).
- Defense of numerous class actions involving a variety of claims relating to insurance and annuities.
- Member of a team of lawyers involved in complex environmental remediation litigation, and one of the drafters of summary judgment briefing. SeeWestlake Vinyls, Inc. v. Goodrich Corp., 518 F. Supp. 2d 902 (W.D. Ky. 2007) and Westlake Vinyls, Inc. v. Goodrich Corp., 518 F. Supp. 2d 918 (W.D. Ky. 2007).
What Clients Say
. . . . excellent lawyer . . . .
. . . impressively balances strong advocacy for his client while also maintaining unflagging civility and politeness towards his opponent.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Brace Up for More Hot Buttons! Recent Developments in Class Action Litigation," Webcast, The Knowledge Group, LLC, July 14, 2017
- "Piercing the Single Member LLC Veil," Teleconference, National Business Institute (NBI), February 21, 2017
- "2016 Fall Right-of-Way Workshop & Symposium," panel member, International Right of Way Association, October 7, 2016
- "How to Comply Under State Law and Creating Practical Operating Procedures," Limited Liability Companies, NBI seminars, April 22, 2015
- "Employee Data Protection: FTC's Reasonable Data Security Guideposts for Employers in 2015," Panel Member, The Knowledge Group Webcasts Series, February 13, 2015
- "Chapter 6: Answer, Affirmative Defenses, and Counterclaims," Business Torts: A Practical Guide to Litigation, American Bar Association Publishing, June 2014
- "Hearsay Rules Under the Federal Rules of Evidence," Panelist, CLE Webinar, September 10, 2013
- "Pleadings and Evidentiary Issues in Federal Court," Representing Your Client in Federal Court, National Business Institute CLE, June 27, 2013
- "Thorough Discovery," Representing Your Client in Federal Court, National Business Institute CLE, June 27, 2013
- "Defending Class Actions," Global Business Magazine, December 1, 2012
- "Reconsidering the Motion to Reconsider," with Brian M. Bennett, Bar Briefs, June 1, 2012
- "Ethical Considerations with Frivolous Lawsuits," Believe It or Not Business Lawsuits, National Business Institute, May 21, 2012
- "Corporate Governance," Believe It or Not Business Lawsuits, National Business Institute, May 21, 2012
More Than Stites & Harbison
Chad participated in the summer associate program at the firm while in law school. Chad is a member of the Board of Directors of the Kentucky Derby Festival Foundation. He also serves as a volunteer attorney representing victims of domestic violence. He regularly participates in numerous other volunteer activities, including the American Cancer Society Relay for Life.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Benchmark Litigation, Future Star (2018-19)
Benchmark Litigation, Under 40 Hot List (2016)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2015-18)
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2013-14)
Professional Sector Network Global Awards, Class Action Adviser of the Year–USA (2014)
- Kentucky Derby Festival Foundation, Board of Directors
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life
- Kentucky Super Lawyers Honors 42 Stites & Harbison Attorneys for 2019
- Benchmark Litigation 2019 Honors 15 Stites & Harbison Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation honors 16 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Stites & Harbison Attorneys named to Benchmark Litigation’s Under 40 Hot List for 2016
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Chadwick McTighe honored by Professional Sector Network’s 2014 Global Awards
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Stites & Harbison names eight new members and one new counsel