Walter S. Robertson
Location: Lexington, KY
Walt Robertson is a member of the Business & Corporate Services Group. He represents clients in all matters of business including commercial lending, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, securities regulation and equine law.
- Serves as counsel to multiple banks and lending institutions in asset-backed financing transactions.
- Serves as counsel to industry leader in Thoroughbred racing partnerships.
- Serves as counsel to start-ups and other early-stage companies in capital raising and other corporate organizational matters.
- Represented the seller in the sale of assets of a regional food service business.
- Represented the buyer in the purchase of assets of an international agricultural products business.
- Represented the seller in the sale of assets of a nationally recognized wood turning business.
- Represented buyers and sellers in the purchase, sale and syndication of Thoroughbred stallions that have won multiple Kentucky Derbies, Preakness Stakes, the Belmont Stakes, Breeders' Cup races, the Dubai World Cup and other Grade I races.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Chapter: Business Combinations: Non-Tax Considerations," with Robert M. Beck, Jr., co-author, Kentucky Corporation Law, 3d ed. (2018)
- "Issues For International Sale of Goods," with Robert M. Beck, Jr., UK Equine Law Seminar, (presentation and paper), Lexington, KY, May 4, 2017
- "Graduate and Professional Education," 2017 Equine Summit: Developing Tomorrow's Equine Workforce, University of Kentucky AG Equine Program, Lexington, KY, April 26, 2017
- "2016 Equine Law Update," Horsing Around Equine Update, Kentucky Society of CPAs, Lexington, Kentucky, October 19, 2016
- "Legal issues applicable to equine transactions," Horsing Around Equine Update, Kentucky Society of CPAs, November 4, 2015
- "Securities Laws Issues Applicable to Horse Racing Syndicates," 15th Annual Saratoga Institute on Equine, Racing & Gaming Law Conference, Saratoga Springs, New York, August 11, 2015
- "The Nexus between Securities Law and Equine Law Practices," with David E. Longenecker, 28th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, Lexington, Kentucky, May 1, 2013
- "Negotiation Tactics: How to Negotiate So You Don’t Lose Your Shirt at the Races," University-Industry Demonstration Partnership (UIDP) Annual Meeting, Lexington, Ky., October 2012
- "The Thoroughbred Auction Process from Start to Finish," 26th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, Lexington, Kentucky May 4, 2011
- "The Essential Elements of an Equine Sales Contract—From A to Z," The 24th Annual National Conference on Equine Law, Lexington, Ky., 2009
- "A Day in the Life—Who Are Our Clients and What Legal Issues Arise Every Day for Them," The 22nd Annual National Conference on Equine Law, Lexington, Ky., 2007
Before Stites & Harbison
Walt has a lifetime of experience in multiple breeds of the equine industry. Prior to practicing law, he worked as a bloodstock agent for a leading commercial agency specializing in the sale of Thoroughbred horses at public auction and as a bid spotter and announcer for several horse auction companies. During college, he worked on a Thoroughbred horse farm in New Zealand.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Walt is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Kentucky where he teaches Equine Law I in the College of Agriculture.
Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2018)
Kentucky Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2015-18)
- Kentucky Horse Park Foundation, Board of Directors
- Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance, Board of Directors
- University of Kentucky National Conference on Equine Law, Planning Committee
- Leadership Kentucky, Class of 2015
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 51 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Walter S. Robertson, II, elected to Kentucky Horse Park Foundation’s Board
- Walt Robertson selected for Leadership Kentucky’s Class of 2015
- Stites & Harbison promotes 15 attorneys in 2015
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys