"Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. [F]or nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions." —Judge Learned Hand in the Dissenting Opinion to Commissioner of Internal Revenue v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848 (2d Cir. 1947).
The Stites & Harbison Trusts & Estate Planning Group enthusiastically agrees with Judge Hand's opinion above, and we work judiciously to help clients minimize their tax burdens.
The attorneys of Stites & Harbison’s Trusts & Estate Planning Group routinely serve clients in a range of matters that include:
- Living trusts
- Irrevocable trust agreements
- Marital deduction trusts
- Generation-skipping trusts
- Qualified personal residence trusts
- GRATs and GRUTs
- Trusts for minors
- Powers of attorney
- Advance medical directives
- Tax counsel for minimizing current income taxes, future inheritance and estate taxes, and taxes on retirement
- Handling of income tax matters at death
- Planning to avoid the generation-skipping tax
- Exercising powers of appointment
- Beneficiary and distribution decisions under qualified retirement plans and IRAs
We also provide to our clients special assets services such as:
- Estate and trust administration services
- Consultation and counsel to trust companies and individual fiduciaries
- Representation of charitable and non-profit organizations
- Management and disposition of valuable assets
- Valuation of private businesses
- Planning of beneficial interests under trusts
- Advice on the use of family limited partnerships and limited liability companies to maximize transfer tax savings for business and family assets
- Planning for foreign holdings
- Advice with respect to charitable gifts of tangible property and appreciated securities and on "remainder" and "lead" gifts.
FRANKFORT, Ky.—Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Rob Moore has been named Office Executive Member for the Frankfort, Ky., office. He succeeds attorney Mark Overstreet, who has led the office since 1997.
ATLANTA—Stites & Harbison, PLLC announces that all seven attorneys from Owen, Gleaton, Egan, Jones & Sweeney, LLP have joined Stites & Harbison’s Atlanta office.
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Nashville attorneys Brenton Lankford and Greg Smith will be speakers at this Family Law Conference for Tennessee Practitioners being held December 2-3, 2021.
Time: 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Webinar and in person at Nashville Bar Association, 150 4th Avenue N, Suite 1350, Nashville, TN 37219
Family Law attorneys Greg Smith and Brent Lankford (Nashville office) will speak at this Nashville Bar Association seminar on October 18, 2021.