As the legalization and regulation of the hemp industry unfolds, industry actors must navigate a wide array of legal challenges and respond to evolving—and often times conflicting—federal and state mandates.
Stites & Harbison’s Hemp Industry Practice has the necessary understanding of the legal issues impacting our clients operating in the hemp arena. Our clients include farmers, producers, distributors, lenders, investors, and suppliers of ancillary products and services.
Stites & Harbison’s Hemp Industry services include:
- Capital formation activities
- Commercial litigation and dispute resolution
- Corporate formation and structure
- Data privacy and security
- Drafting and negotiating of contracts/operating agreements
- Economic development and incentives
- Employment and employee benefit matters
- Environmental matters impacting air, land, or water
- Health care licensing
- Insurance coverage
- Intellectual property protection including trademarks, patents, and branding
- Investigations and enforcement
- Licensing agreements
- Licensing and permitting
- Partnerships and operating agreements
- Product liability litigation
- Real estate transactions including commercial leasing, construction, zoning, and land use
- Regulatory compliance (federal, state and local)
- Tax planning and advice
Our firm maintains the breadth of experience necessary to provide our hemp-related clients with the complex and diverse legal services required in their industry.
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Governor Andy Beshear has appointed Stites & Harbison, PLLC attorney Jennifer Cave to the Kentucky Horse Park Commission. She will serve a four-year term.
On March 31, 2023, Governor Andy Beshear signed Senate Bill 47 into law legalizing the use of medical cannabis in the Commonwealth. The bill establishes a structure to regulate the medical cannabis program, including dispensaries, cultivators, practitioners, processors and products, and a procedure for issuing identification cards to patients and caregivers. The bill establishes the authorization process for practitioners to recommend the use of medicinal cannabis and establishes the cannabis business license application process and requirements.