Stephanie R. Taylor
Location: Nashville, TN
Stephanie Taylor is an entertainment and music industry attorney located in the Nashville office of Stites & Harbison. She provides a broad range of legal services to clients involved in the creation, production and management of creative works. She understands the special needs of the entertainment industry, including copyright law, music publishing, record labels, media, television, radio and general business matters.
Stephanie represents record labels, recording artists, songwriters, producers, artist managers, music publishers, concert promoters, television talent, music industry entrepreneurs and businesses involved with the creation, use and distribution of copyrighted works. She was named one of Nashville’s “40 under 40” by the Nashville Business Journal and has been honored since 2014 as one of the “Best Lawyers® in America” in the area of Entertainment Law - Music, Entertainment and Theatre.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Music Without Borders," Nashville Bar Journal, August 2014
- "Termination of Copyright Transfers: Whether Sound Recordings Created On or After 1978 Constitute Works Made for Hire Under the Copyright Act of 1976," Music and Entertainment Industry Educator's Journal, Volume 10, Number 1, 2010
- "South Dakota Old Time Fiddlers, Music of the Great Plains," Documentary Film, 2009
Before Stites & Harbison
Prior to joining Stites & Harbison, Stephanie was a Member with Bone McAllester Norton in Nashville. Prior to that, she owned her own entertainment law firm. She was a tenured professor of music business at Middle Tennessee State University and also directed the school's Recording Industry Exchange program with Russia.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Stephanie is a South Dakota native, but her love of country music inspired her move to Nashville. She is a classically trained violinist and country/bluegrass fiddle player. Her musical career has included eight years as a contract violinist with the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra in Lincoln, Neb., and she has performed with numerous recording artists, including Chris Young, country duo Joey + Rory, singer/songwriters Billy Yates, Billy Falcon, Barry Waldrep, and Dana Romanello. She was recently inducted into the South Dakota Old Time Fiddlers Hall of Fame. She admits to missing the tour bus, but says she loves being home with her husband and children a little more.
Best Lawyers in America® (2016-17)
Forty Under 40, Nashville Business Journal (2014)
Alumni Achievement Award, University of Nebraska Hixson-Lied College of Fine & Performing Arts
South Dakota Old Time Fiddler's Hall of Fame, Member
- Volunteer Lawyers & Professional for the Arts (VLPA)
- The Foundation for Bluegrass Music, Board of Trustees
- International Bluegrass Music Museum, Board of Trustees
- University of Nebraska, Chancellor's Alumni Advisory Council
- Leadership Music, Class of 2018
- Leadership Music selects Stephanie Taylor for the Class of 2018
- Stephanie Taylor named to Chancellor’s Alumni Advisory Council of University of Nebraska
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Stites & Harbison launches Entertainment Law Group and welcomes Stephanie Taylor to the firm