S. Madison (Matt) Roberts IV
Location: Franklin, TN
Matt Roberts is an attorney in the firm’s Franklin office. His practice focuses on real estate transactions and litigation, as well as creditors’ rights, and business litigation.
- Secured a refund to client of over 99% of delinquent taxes paid under protest due to incorrectly estimated personal property tax assessement
- Successfully cleared title issues and defended challenges to title on numerous properties
- Serves as a consulting expert on a lawsuit to set aside a tax sale for lack of due process
- Chair of committee that drafted and lobbied changes to more than eighty sections and subsections of the Tennessee Code Annotated on tax sales and delinquent property tax enforcement
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Tennessee Tax Titles," Tax Lien Talk Annual Conference, Bespoke Capital Markets Group (BCMG), November 12, 2015
- "Tax Sales," Hot Topics in Real Estate seminar, Tennessee Land Title Association, November 6, 2015
- "Legislative Update," Tennessee Association of Property Tax Professionals, Annual Conference, August 2015
- "Legislative Update," Tennessee Association of Property Tax Professionals, Annual Conference, August 2014
- "What Happens (or Should Happen) After a Tax Sale," Tennessee Association of Property Tax Professionals, Annual Conference, August 2013
- "Legislative Update," Tennessee Association of Property Tax Professionals, Annual Conference, August 2013
- "Delinquent Tax Issues for Clerks," Tennessee Clerks of Court Annual Conference, 2013
Before Stites & Harbison
Prior to joining the firm, Matt was an attorney with Yost Robertson Nowak, PLLC in Franklin, Tennessee, where he practiced in the areas of real estate, business litigation, creditors’ rights, estate planning and probate, and general business representation. He also represented Williamson County and the Cities of Brentwood, Fairview, Franklin, Nolensville, Spring Hill and Thompsons Station in property tax matters. After law school, he practiced for three years with a litigation firm in Richmond, Virginia.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Matt is currently participating in the 2015-16 class of Leadership Franklin. He is currently serving his second term as President of the Board of Directors of Williamson County CASA, Inc. He originally joined that Board in 2010 and served two terms as Secretary before being elected President.
He also was the second President of the Tennessee Association of Property Tax Professionals, for which he also chaired the Legislative Committee in 2011-2012 and 2014-2015, and sat on the Board for four years.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Matt is married and has one young daughter. Outside of work, Matt enjoys spending time with his family, traveling, reading, skiing, playing golf, and University of Georgia football.
- Williamson County CASA, Inc., Board of Directors (President, 2017; 2014-16); Secretary (2011-13)
- Friends of Franklin Parks, Connectivity Committee