Location: Alexandria, VA
Mari-Elise Paul splits her time between the Alexandria and Louisville offices where she is a member of the Intellectual Property & Technology Group. Her practice concentrates on litigation involving intellectual property infringement and trade secret misappropriation, prosecuting trademark and copyright registration applications, litigating trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings as well as negotiating and drafting licenses and other contracts that involve intellectual property or technology rights. She also interacts with U.S. Customs & Border Protection to enforce trademarks through seizure orders.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Intellectual Property Issues for Construction Lawyers," American Bar Association's Forum on Construction Law and Section of Intellectual Property Law, July 12, 2017
- "The Supreme Court Slants Toward Tam: Disparagement Clause Ruled Unconstitutional," with Joel T. Beres, Stites & Harbison Legal Update, June 20, 2017
- "Give me a © for Copyrightable! The Supreme Court Holds That Cheerleading Uniforms can be Copyrightable.," Stites & Harbison Legal Update, March 31, 2017
- "Trump and his Trademarks," Trademarkology blog post, February 27, 2017
- "Patriots Trademarks and the Big Game," Trademarkology blog post, February 3, 2017
- "It’s Like That: RUN-D.M.C. Sues Amazon and Wal-Mart for Trademark Infringement," Trademarkology blog, December 20, 2016
- "Do you really own it? Copyrights in the Age of Cloud Computing," with Stephen J. Weyer, Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Face to Face networking event, February 29, 2012
- "Copyright and Cloud Computing," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Face to Face networking event, February 28, 2012
- "Adult entertainment industry may want your web site," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Client Alert, October 18, 2011
- "Copyright in the Digital Age," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Face to Face networking event, September 6, 2011
- "Biotechnology fuels drive for economic development," with Stephen J. Weyer, Medical News, May 1, 2011
- "Intellectual Property Basics," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Face to Face networking event, March 16, 2011
- "Problems in Applying Traditional Cultural Expression Laws to the Unique Medium of Dance," University of Louisville Law Review, Volume 48
- "The Protection of Traditional Cultural Knowledge on an International Level," Louisville Bar Association Intellectual Property Section CLE, Louisville, KY, Fall 2009
- "Traditional Cultural Expression Protection: Special Considerations In Dance," Traditional Knowledge Conference, ZA, North-West University, Potchefstroom, South Africa, March 17, 2009
Before Stites & Harbison
Prior to law school, Mari-Elise attended the University of Maryland and studied dance and English, with an emphasis in rhetoric. As a law student, Mari-Elise volunteered at the Tennessee Volunteer Lawyers & Professionals for the Arts and performed with Louisville’s modern dance company Moving Collective.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Mari-Elise is on the Board of Directors for the Louisville Ballet and Washington, D.C.'s Dance Exchange. She is also a member of Americans for the Arts, volunteers for the Washington Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts and is actively involved with Gilda's Club.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Mari-Elise enjoys practicing and teaching hot yoga, running, traveling, and experimenting in the kitchen with her husband Bruce. Outside the office, she can usually be found in the hot room or spending time with Bruce, her step-twins Alex and Emily, and their puppy Moxie.
Virginia Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2015)
Washington DC Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2015)
- Louisville Ballet, Board of Directors
- Americans for the Arts, Member
- Dance Exchange, Board of Directors