Laura L. Mays
Location: Lexington, KY
Laura L. Mays is a member of the firm's Torts and Insurance Practice Service Group and the Employment Service Group.
- Kentucky State court appellate practice
- Successfully briefed and argued motion for summary judgment dismissing bad faith insurance claims against insurance adjuster
- Defended national retailer against contract, product, and premises liability claims in state and federal court
- Successfully litigated forcible detainer actions involving commercial leases in Kentucky state court
- Experience prosecuting and defending against motions for temporary restraining orders involving emergency injunction hearings and evidentiary hearings
- Experience prosecuting and defending against claims involving violations of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements
- Trial experience in claims regarding FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, FLSA, and retaliation, as well as experience in drafting employment agreements
- Successfully proved conversion and a violation of the Kentucky Trade Secrets Act by a former employee, resulting in a successful settlement of all claims
- Successfully argued summary judgment motions to dismiss product product liability, premises liability, and medical malpractice claims in Kentucky state court
- Played a major role in defense of an international chemical manufacturing company in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky in a toxic tort suit filed by nearly 200 plaintiffs; responsible for organizing and overseeing discovery while taking and/or defending more than 30 depositions; responsible for organizing, managing, and introducing exhibits during the trial
- Integral member of team successfully defending a regional healthcare provider against a large multi-state joint operating company and co-authored brief to State Court of Appeals
Recent Articles and Speaking Engagements
- "Human Resource Law From Start to Finish,"
- "Alternative Dispute Resolution in the Employment Context," Human Resource Law from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, Lexington, Ky., February 5, 2014
- "Affordable Care Act and Other Developments," Human Resource Law from Start to Finish, National Business Institute, Lexington, Ky., February 5, 2014
- "FMLA Update 2013," Kentucky Chamber of Commerce 25th Annual HR Update, Lexington, Ky., May 31, 2013
- "Retaliation Claims," Employment Law: Beyond the Basics, Sterling Education Services, Lexington, Ky., July 17, 2012
Before Stites & Harbison
Laura joined Stites & Harbison in September 2006 after participating in the firm's summer associate program in 2005.
More Than Stites & Harbison
Laura is a member of the Board of Directors for the American Red Cross Bluegrass Chapter.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Laura enjoys playing tennis and basketball, sewing and baking.