John W. Scruton
Location: Louisville, KY
John Scruton is Counsel to the firm and based in its Louisville office. He has practiced intellectual property law for over 10 years and litigation for over 20 years. John's practice includes all phases of the trademark registration process, including a particular focus on proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board such as oppositions to pending trademark applications and actions to cancel existing registrations. He is also active in litigating trademark, copyright, patent, unfair competition and trade secret cases; negotiating and drafting licenses, assignments and other transactions involving trademark and copyrights; and, counseling clients concerning intellectual property strategies.
- Part of a trial team that won a multimillion-dollar patent infringement verdict, including a finding of willful infringement, in a case involving simulated neon sign technology
- Defended local healthcare facility against trademark infringement claims raised by out-of-state health insurance company
- Assisted manufacturer of commercial beverage equipment with selection and protection of trademarks in the U.S. and internationally under the Madrid Protocol
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Things Were Breaking Fast for the Serial Podcast Last Week," Trademarkology blog, April 6, 2018
- "Things Are Getting Crowded in the World of Beer Trademarks," Trademarkology blog, March 8, 2018
- "Hurray! The Path Is Now Clear for the Registration of Vulgar Trademarks!," Trademarkology blog, January 5, 2018
- "Velcro Gets Creative in Protecting Its Brand from Generic Use," Trademarkology blog, September 28, 2017
- "Ethical Issues in IP Matters: The Trademark Company, Matt Swyers, and the Office of Enrollment and Discipline," American Bar Association Section of Intellectual Property Law, June 20, 2017
- "Coach + Kate Spade = Quirky, Preppy, Playfully Sophisticated Grippables," Trademarkology blog, June 19, 2017
- "Mr. Met Regrets His Error, But Will Survive," Trademarkology blog, June 2, 2017
- "Supreme Court makes it harder to overturn patent cases on appeal," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, January 21, 2015
- "Supreme Court rules deceptive labeling claim may proceed," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, June 12, 2014
- "Raging Bull and Unintended Consequences of the CTEA? Supreme Court Holds Laches Cannot Bar Copyright Claims Brought Within Statute of Limitations," Stites & Harbison Client Alert, May 19, 2014
- "Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Law—Trademark Law Update," Louisville Bar Association, June 2008
- "Recent Developments in Intellectual Property Law—Trademark Law Update," Louisville Bar Association, June 2006
- "Supreme Court decides eBay Inc. v. MercExchange," Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Client Alert, May 15, 2006
- "Basics of Trademark Licensing," Louisville Bar Association, April 2006
- "Regulation of False Advertising by the Federal Trade Commission," Louisville Bar Association, September 2004
Before Stites & Harbison
From 1986 to 1995, Mr. Scruton was an associate in the Los Angeles office of Sidley & Austin, an international law firm based in Chicago. He was a member of the firm's litigation group and worked on a wide variety of matters, including a series of condominium construction defect/land subsidence cases, partnership disputes, environmental and toxic tort matters, Drexel Burnham Lambert litigation, and a series of cases involving the Americans with Disabilities Act.
More Than Stites & Harbison
John is a member of the board of The Fabulous Leopard Percussionists, Inc. (a non-profit children's music group), Teach Kentucky (a charitable organization that recruits new teachers) and Yale in Kentucky (the local alumni association). He is on the Steering Committee for Highland Youth Recreation, a non-profit recreational sports league operated by Highlands Community Ministries. He is also active in leadership positions at First Unitarian Church of Louisville.
Besides Stites & Harbison
John plays tradtional music on the guitar and banjo, and enjoys photography.
- The Fabulous Leopard Percussionists, Inc., Board member
- Teach Kentucky, Board member
- Yale in Kentucky, Board member
- Highland Youth Recreation, Steering Committee
- First Unitarian Church of Louisville, member