Jeffrey S. Moad
Location: Louisville, KY
Jeff Moad is an attorney in the firm's Louisville office and a member of the Business Litigation Service Group. His practice focuses on complex business disputes, class action litigation, financial services litigation, and professional liability defense.
- Counsel for manufacturer in prosecution of claims against supplier for fraud, breach of warranty, and unfair competition resulting from misrepresentation of product's composition and country of origin.
- Successfully argued for complete preemption under ERISA of claims against an independent medical record review organization in appeal before the Sixth Circuit, and successfully opposed the petition for a writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Argued and briefed Sixth Circuit appeal in dispute involving a complex options and futures trading strategy.
- Argued and briefed successful motion to dismiss claims of fraud, negligent training, and negligent supervision asserted against a financial institution based on alleged forgery of a former employee.
- Won summary judgment for insurer on all class claims and individual claims in multistate federal court class action involving fixed-index annuities.
- Counsel for distiller in putative class action alleging nuisance and trespass relating to ethanol emissions.
- Counsel for mortgage servicer in putative class action asserting RESPA and breach of contract claims.
- Counsel for auto finance companies in defense of FCRA, FDCPA, and TCPA claims.
- Counsel for mortgage loan servicers in defense of FCRA, FDCPA, RESPA, and TCPA claims.
- Counsel for attorneys in professional negligence actions involving transactional and litigation issues.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Anything Hurts So Long As Congress Says It Hurts: Article III Standing Two Years After Spokeo," presentation to Southern Law Network, March 22, 2018
- "The Pot's Right: It's Time for Congress To Go 'All-In' for Online Poker," Note, 102 KY. L.J. 757 (2013)
More Than Stites & Harbison
Prior to joining the firm, Jeff was a Law Clerk for the Hon. John G. Heyburn II, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky (2014-15). In 2012 and 2013, he was a summer associate with the firm. Before law school, Jeff served as an Associate Director for Chapter Services for the Kappa Alpha Order National Administrative Office (2010-11).