Daniel E. Danford
Location: Lexington, KY
Dan Danford practices with the Business Litigation Service Group and Torts & Insurance Practice Service Group and is primarily involved in defending complex business and product liability claims. Mr. Danford has defended a number of class action product liability suits involving pharmaceuticals, tires, insulating materials, light fixtures, dishware, electrical systems, construction materials, specialty rifles, automotive windshields and various cases involving financial services such as waste collection fees.
Dan also wears an administrative law hat, participating as counsel to the Hearing Committee of the United States Equestrian Federation in approximately 100 administrative hearings each year.
Mr. Danford has briefed and argued numerous cases before various appellate courts including the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and in 1999 he argued and won a landmark case before the Kentucky Supreme Court extending the standard for expert admissibility to all expert witnesses.
- Defending class action claims and an Attorney General action in Kentucky involving the schedule II pain medication, OxyContin
- Defending class action claims in Memphis, Tennessee, concerning rate increases by a major waste management company
- Defending a major chemical corporation against multi-plaintiff actions involving alleged damages from a chemical release. The case resulted in two major federal trials in 2009 and 2010
- Selected to reverse on appeal a multi-million dollar fee awarded in bankruptcy court to an investment brokerage firm
More Than Stites & Harbison
Mr. Danford's first career was focused on rehabilitation of adult stroke and laryngectomy patients as a Speech-Language Pathologist. Dan is a member of the Lexington Rotary Club, serves as an Elder on the Board of his church and organizes Rt. 56, a Sunday school class for fifth and sixth graders. He also coaches his daughter's soccer and basketball teams. An active husband and father, he longs for the day when his daughters are old enough to accompany him on a second trek along the Appalachian Trail.
Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation (2013-19)
Kentucky Super Lawyers (2011-16)
Benchmark Litigation magazine, Litigation Star (2015-19)
- Lexington Rotary Club, member
- God's Pantry Food Bank, Board of Directors
- First Alliance Church, Member and Board of Directors
- Benchmark Litigation 2019 Honors 15 Stites & Harbison Attorneys
- Best Lawyers in America honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2019
- Benchmark Litigation honors 16 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Benchmark Litigation honors 14 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Benchmark Litigation names 14 Stites & Harbison Litigation Stars and Two Future Stars for 2016
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Benchmark Litigation names 15 Stites & Harbison Litigation Stars and two Future Stars
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14
- Eighty-nine Stites & Harbison attorneys honored by Best Lawyers in America for 2014
- Thirty-five Stites & Harbison attorneys selected for inclusion on Kentucky Super Lawyers for 2001