Brian H. Meldrum
Location: Louisville, KY
Brian H. Meldrum is based in the firm's Louisville office, and his practice focuses on creditors' rights, commercial foreclosure, corporate bankruptcy and restructuring, business and commercial litigation, and complex judgment enforcement and collection. Brian represents lenders, trade creditors, franchisors, landlords, creditors' committees, examiners and bankruptcy trustees and preference and fraudulent transfer defendants in large or complex bankruptcy matters. In addition, Mr. Meldrum represents corporate clients in civil litigation in state and federal courts around the country.
Brian founded, edits and contributes to Creditors' Sidebar, a legal blog focused on bankruptcy and creditors' rights issues.
- Representing lenders in Chapter 12 bankruptcies and distressed agricultural loan workouts
- Representing directors and officers in fiduciary-duty litigation in coal company Chapter 11
- Representing official committee of unsecured creditors in In re New Horizons Health Systems, Inc. (Bankr. E.D. Ky.)
- Represented largest creditor in Chapter 9 bankruptcy In re City of Hillview, Kentucky (Bankr. W.D. Ky.) and first-chaired eligibility trial on behalf of client
- Represented successful asset purchaser in coal company bankruptcy In re Licking River Mining LLC (Bankr. E.D. Ky.), including first-chairing contested evidentiary section 363 sale hearing
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors in In re Integrity Feeds, LLC (Bankr. W.D. Ky.)
- Represented senior secured creditor in workout and subsequent Chapter 11 of ice-cream manufacturer Dippin' Dots, Inc., resulting in successful 363 sale
- Represented CMBS Special Servicer, first-chaired confirmation hearing and defeated debtor's cram-down plan of reorganization
- Represented franchisor in Chapter 11 bankruptcy of 26-store restaurant chain
- Representing lender, first-chaired and won trial to avoid a fraudulent transfer made by a guarantor
- Won pro bono asylum trial for Mauritanian refugee client persecuted for her political opinion and religious beliefs
What Clients Say
. . . is one of the finest bankruptcy lawyers in the country . . . gifted with superb analytical skills, writing ability and oral advocacy.
. . . is one of the finest lawyers to appear in my court.
Recent News, Articles & Speaking Engagements
- "Fisker? I Hardly Knew Her! The End of Credit Bidding?," Norton Bankruptcy Law Adviser, Issue 4, April 2014
- "Bankruptcy Venue Reform Act of 2011," Bar Briefs, March 1, 2012
- "Bankruptcy Claims Trading: Mechanics, Strategies, and Ethics," with Brian M. Bennett, W. Robert Meyer, presentation to Louisville Bar Association, Louisville Bar Center, Louisville, Ky., June 24, 2011
- "Buttermilk Towne Center: Increased Lender Leverage in Single Asset Chapter 11," with W. Robert Meyer, Stites & Harbison, PLLC, Client Alert, April 20, 2011
- "Commercial Real Estate: Defaults, Workouts & Foreclosures," Writer and speaker, University of Kentucky College of Law 11th Real Estate Law & Practice Institute, November 2010
- "Case Law Update and Counsel Retention," Writer and speaker on Bankruptcy Special Counsel, Louisville Bar Association, June 2010
- "Bankruptcy Case Law Updates," Writer and speaker on Chapter 11 developments, Louisville Bar Association, October 2009
- "The Fundamentals of Construction Contracts," Writer and speaker on executory contracts in bankruptcy, Lorman Educational Services, July 2006
Before Stites & Harbison
Prior to joining the firm, Brian practiced for seven years at Jenner & Block LLP in Chicago.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Brian enjoys spending time with his wife and two daughters and is presently learning to play the banjo.
Martindale-Hubbell® AV-Preeminent® Peer Review Rated
Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2015-18)
Best Lawyers in America®, Louisville Area Lawyer of the Year for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law (2017)
Kentucky Super Lawyers® (2013-18)
Louisville Magazine Top Lawyers, Bankruptcy Law (2016)
- Best Lawyers in America honors 79 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2018
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 55 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers in America honors 74 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2017
- Best Lawyers names 16 Stites & Harbison attorneys as “Lawyer of the Year” for 2017
- Kentucky Super Lawyers honors 64 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Best Lawyers honors 72 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2016
- Super Lawyers honor Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky Attorneys
- Best Lawyers honors 89 Stites & Harbison attorneys for 2015
- Super Lawyers honors Stites & Harbison’s Kentucky attorneys for 2013-14