Vanderbilt University Law School
Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law; Professional Authorities Editor
B.A., cum laude, 1998
Vanderbilt in France, Aix-en-Provence; Kappa Sigma
U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- Intellectual Property & Technology
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Technology / Hardware / Software
- Industrial / Manufacturing Facilities
- International Trademark Association
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
Randy Michels' practice is focused on the litigation of patent, copyright and trademark matters. Randy has experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in various phases of litigation, from pre-trial investigations through appeals. In addition to litigation, Randy advises clients in connection with the selection, clearance, registration, maintenance and protection of trademarks. Randy also helps clients recover domain names that have been pirated. In 2013, he was named to the inaugural "IP Stars" list by Managing Intellectual Property magazine.
- Southwest eFuel Network, L.L.C. v. Transaction Tracking Technologies, Inc.(U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas) Obtained judgment as a matter of law for Transaction Tracking Technologies, Inc. in patent infringement action brought by Southwest eFuel Network, L.L.C. concerning a method and system for issuing, tracking and reconciling financial instruments and coupons.
- Wacoh Company v. Chrysler LLC, et al.(U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin) Obtained dismissal with prejudice for Akebono Brake Company in a patent infringement lawsuit filed by Wacoh Company concerning a method for testing a sensor with a particular testing feature.
- Microsoft v. Advanced Computer Corp., et al. (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee) Obtained permanent injunction for Microsoft Corporation in action for trademark and copyright infringement against Advanced Computer Corporation.
- Refinishing Specialties, Inc. v. Advance Stores Company Inc. (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky) Obtained settlement for Refinishing Specialties in action for trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Static Control Components Inc. v. Lexmark International, Inc., et al.(U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky) Obtained dismissal with prejudice for Pendl Companies, Inc. in patent infringement action brought by Lexmark International, Inc. concerning repair of toner cartridges for certain Lexmark laser printers.
- Microsoft v. Sellers, et al. (U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee) Obtained summary judgment, permanent injunction, and monetary damages for Microsoft Corporation in action for trademark and copyright infringement against Sellers.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- "Patent Pilot Program in the Western District of Tennessee," Nashville Bar Association, October 2012
- "Development and Protection of Intellectual Property," Belmont University, November 2009
- "Careers in Trademark Law," Vanderbilt University Law School, April 2009
More than Stites & Harbison
Randy is President of the Kappa Sigma Alumni Association (Kappa Chapter) and he is the alumni advisor to the Kappa Sigma chapter at Vanderbilt University. He also recently served on the Nashville Vanderbilt Club Board and the National Commodore Club 2020 Advisory Committee.
Besides Stites & Harbison
Randy is a big Vanderbilt sports fan. Vanderbilt's recent success on the football field (2012 Music City Bowl champs!) has helped heal the emotional scars caused by years of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Randy and his wife recently welcomed a little Commodore into the world, and they look forward to grooming him to be the next Vanderbilt superfan.