University of Kentucky College of Law
Kentucky Law Journal, Staff 1989-91 and Associate Editor 1990-91
B.A., cum laude, 1988
Phi Beta Kappa
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- Employment Law
- Immigration Law
- Consumer Products / Food / Beverage
- Health Care
- Industrial / Manufacturing Facilities
- Airports / Aviation
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Fayette County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM), Bluegrass Chapter, Legislative Affairs Director, 2008-09
- National Diocesan Attorneys Association
- Alzheimer's Association of Greater Kentucky and Southern Indiana, Board of Directors, Lexington Walk to End Alzheimer's, co-chair 2011 and 2012
Ms. Kamer counsels employers on an extensive range of labor & employment issues, including Title VII, the ADA, the FMLA and the ADEA, and defend employers in state and federal court litigation as well as at the administrative level. Ms Kamer has a local, regional and national employment defense law practice that is exclusively focused on legal issues in connection with the employer-employee relationship. She counsels management clients regarding a wide spectrum of day-to-day personnel issues including discipline and discharge matters as well as questions regarding medical leave issues, wage and hour issues and disability accommodation. Ms. Kamer has a strong record of success in defending employment litigation, including claims of alleged discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination. She provides invaluable legal assistance to employers regarding employee investigations, development of employment policies and advice regarding non-competition issues.
Mauritia is admitted to practice in both Kentucky and Ohio and is currently the firm's only lawyer admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2013) in the categories of Employment Law - Individuals, Employment Law - Management, Labor Law - Management and Labor Law - Union and Kentucky Super Lawyers magazine for 2012.
She also has extensive knowledge in the workforce authorization compliance area. She provides advice relating to I-9 compliance, corporate best practices during the hiring process, and emerging Federal, state, and local workforce authorization laws and regulations.
- Successfully tried a claim of race discrimination by a former employee of a leading manufacturer of fire and safety equipment
- Has represented national companies in their employment litigation in Pennsylvania, Vermont, South Carolina and Tennessee
- Has represented management in numerous labor arbitrations
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "The Top Employment Cases of the Last Year," 28th Annual Kentucky SHRM Conference, Louisville, KY, September 28, 2012
- "Effective Investigation Techniques," Kentucky Association of Electric Cooperatives, Louisville, KY, April 19, 2012
- “Social Media Pitfalls,” Bluegrass Compensation Associates, Lexington, KY, February 29, 2012
- “Making the Case for Discrimination Prevention,” 27th Annual Kentucky SHRM Conference, Louisville, KY, September 30, 2011
- “Conducting an Effective Investigation,” ESHRM, Elizabethtown, KY, August 19, 2011
- “Update on Harassment and Discrimination Law,” University of Kentucky 12th Biennial Employment Law Institute, Lexington, KY, June 3, 2010
- “Family and Medical Leave Act Update,” 25th Annual Kentucky SHRM Conference, Louisville, KY, September 17, 2009
- “Americans With Disabilities Act Update,” Kentucky Chamber of Commerce, Lexington, KY, March 25, 2009
- “Whodunit? Conducting Effective Workplace Investigations," 24th Annual Kentucky SHRM Conference, Louisville, KY, October 9, 2008
Before Stites & Harbison
Mauritia practiced with the Cleveland law firm of Thompson Hine LLP in its Labor, Employment and Immigration Group for seven years before joining Stites & Harbison in April 1999.
More than Stites & Harbison
Mauritia is on the Board of Directors for the Alzheimer's Association of Greater Kentucky and Southern Indiana. She was the Co-Chair of the Lexington Walk to End Alzheimer's in 2011 and 2012. She is also the Finance and Risk Manager on the Advisory Council to the Phi Mu Chapter at the University of Kentucky.
Besides Stites & Harbison
She and her husband, Joe, have two sons.